I am here today to wrap up all the things I read, posted and accomplished in April. I honestly thought I was going to die this month. I convinced myself that it was a great idea to be part of four different buddy reads along with reading my regular TBR books. So it happened that I ended up reading 5 books at once for two weeks and only have 3 read books the first two weeks of the month. In the end, it was actually quite fun but maybe I won’t do that many again.
SO let’s get started!
Books I READ
- Dirty South Drug Wars by Jae Hood – I got an e-ARC review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. I generally liked the story but I felt like it could’ve been much better if the editing process had been more through. If you’d like to see more of my in depth thoughts, check out my review which is listed down below.
- Sea Glass (Glass #2) by Maria V. Snyder – Definitely much better than the first book. I love the main character’s development in this one, though a little extreme at times. The writing style and the plot are absolutely amazing as Maria does and I can’t wait to finish this trilogy next month.
- Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf #1) by Ryan Graudin – This was go amazing!! I was a little apprehensive because of all the hype and the beginning is a little slow to start, BUT IT WAS SO GOOD! I was blown away, the writing style is incredible, the story kept me hooked and THAT ENDING. I need the second book now please.
- Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird #2) by Claudia Gray – Abby and I read the first book with Gervan last month and we were dying to continue so we buddy read this one together. IT WAS SO GOOD! More than everything I loved in the first book. I am now in love with this series and I am dying for the last book because of that ending!
- Proxy (Avalon #0.5) by Mindee Arnett – Interesting novella to start off a series. I liked the writing style and there was a lot of action for just 82% of content (the rest was the first chapter in the first book). I’m interested in learning more about the characters.
- Lady Thief (Scarlet #2) by A.C. Gaughen – In my efforts to finishing more series this year, I continued with this series. I like this series but it’s kind of a bit of love/hate relationship. There’s parts I enjoy, and others that make me really uncomfortable. But I’ll talk about it more once I write a series review.
- Anything You Want by Geoff Herbach – I buddy read this e-ARC with Cristina @ My Tiny Obsessions and Kat @ My Life and Other Disasters and I was kind of the odd woman out in the beginning. I wasn’t a fan of the main character at first or the writing style but the story and his personality stole my heart and I ended up enjoying it.
- The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us #1) by Maggie Hall – I was interested in this book because of the cover since it first came out but I never picked it up. Then Lainey from gingerreadslainey read it and raved about both this one and the sequel so I picked it up this month. I enjoyed it but it had a rough beginning. It got better and better towards the end though so I’m looking forward to the sequel.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling – I am so happy that we finally got to this book! This is my favorite of the movies I have seen and I was a little scared that the book wouldn’t compare or be worse. BUT IT’S NOT! My first 5 stars for this reason, no regrets whatsoever. So much more action and information and entertaining. Can’t wait for the next book!
- Avalon (Avalon #1) by Mindee Arnett – I picked up this book because of Lainey’s recommendations and I actually really enjoyed it. I’ve never been a huge fan of science fiction, it’s really confusing to me, but this had the kind of backstory that I could grasp. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot was full of twists and turns.
- Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us #2) by Maggie Hall – OMG, this was amazing! The first book was good, but everything was taken up a notch in this book. More action, more drama, more twists and turns. I was obviously completely blown away by the things that happened in this book. The character development was amazing and that ending! Can’t wait for the last book!
- Polaris (Avalon #2) by Mindee Arnett – I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the first book and wanted to try and finish the duology this month and I’m so glad I did! This one was just as exciting and action packed, with lots of plot twists and unexpected turns. However, there’s just something about it that I can’t make myself give it the full five stars. I’ll be exploring that in my series review at the end of May.
- Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle #1) by Rachel Hawkins – I’m currently reading this book with Gervan and Abby for our book club. Unfortunately, we started a little later in the month than usual and we’ve all been busy in general so we didn’t finish it this month. However, I’m sure we will soon since we’re halfway through and I’ll be sharing my thoughts on my May wrap up!
Posts I Shared
- Book Review – The Memory Jar by Janine Elissa Hoole
- Book Review – A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- Book Review – A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
- ARC Review – Dirty South Drug Wars by Jae Hood
- Book Review – The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
- Series Review – Sekret Duology by Lindsay Smith
- Book Review – Jackaby by William Ritter
- Book Review – Beastly Bones by William Ritter
Tags and Awards
- Lovely Blogger and Book Fangirling Award
- The Love Tag
- The OTP Book Tag
- The Playlist Shuffle Tag
- Seasons of Book Blogging Tag
- Real Neat Blog Award
Top 5 Wednesday
- Apr. 13th – Books with “Hard” Topics
- Apr. 20th – Books You’re Intimidated By
- Apr. 27th – Favorite Mothers/Maternal Figures
Waiting on Wednesday
Book Traveling Thursdays
- Apr. 7th – Favorite Bookish Siblings
- Apr. 14th – Favorite Series Ender
- Apr. 21st – All-Time Favorite Book
- Apr. 28th – Favorite Bookish Pet
- Weekly Obsessions #2
- Looks on Books #3 – I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have To Kill You by Ally Carter
- Freadom Speaks About Original Content and Why It’s the Bane of My Existence
- Sara 101: Unfinished Series
- Potter Challenge: Whatchu Know About Wands?
- Goodreads Reading Challenge – 48/120 Books (40%)
Wooo! I feel like I’m kicking some serious butt in my challenge this year. I might even surpass my goal before the year is over which would be awesome and would make me feel pretty great to be honest.
- Read It While It’s Hot Challenge – 3/12 Books
Failed in this one so hard this month. The book I picked to read for this challenge came out really ate in the month so I did not actually read it because there wasn’t enough time to finish it in the month. BUT I’ll do better next month!
- Potter Challenge – 3/7 Books
Aldii and I are still kicking butt in this! If you guys have not read our Harry Potter posts, you definitely should because we’ve gotten incredibly creative and it should be celebrated okay?
- 2016 Debut Author Challenge – 2/x Books
Exact same problem as with the RIWIH Challenge because I was trying to knock two birds with one stone and it did not work out.
- Finishing the Series Challenge – 7/x Series
Yay! Wooo! I surpassed my goal of finishing 5 series this year….sort of. This challenge says that a series counts as finished when you have caught up with all the books published so far. But I’m hoping to completely finish more series than I have so far which is actually 5 (meaning I still completed my goal for the year so woo!).
- Around the World Challenge 2016 – 51/x Places
I got really lucky this month and read quite a few international thrillers so my places count went way up. If you haven’t yet, check out my map for this challenge at the very bottom of my blog next to my categories. You can see the majority of places I’ve gone and which are connected by the same book!
So that’s it for this wrap up! Let me know if you’re read any of the books I mentioned above and what you thought of them! Thanks so much for reading and I’ll see you on my next post!