I am here today to wrap up all the things I read, posted and accomplished in September. This was a really tough month for me so my reading suffered quite a bit. I managed to read a bit more toward the end of the month but honestly, I spent more time reading Twilight fanfiction than I did reading the books that I was supposed to be reading. But let’s talk about what I managed to accomplish.
SO let’s get started!
This has been the worst month of the year for me. From the 1st of September I’ve been almost drowning in work. Then my cat got sick and we had to put her down. My heart is still broken and I’m sad all the freaking time but I’m slowly but surely getting to a place where I’ll be okay. My mom and I are having a really hard time at home since it feels particularly empty without our little princess but we’re going to make it through.
And also, things in my country are getting worse and worse. Protests keep popping up constantly (with reason), buying food is harder than ever and everything is just really shitty you guys.
Please comment down below and tell me something good about your day, your life, etc because I really need some pick me ups!
Books I Read
- The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke – This is a book I started last month and was the first book I finished this month. It’s an ARC that I got from NetGalley and my review for it will be further down this post. I enjoyed this book and there were some plot twists and surprising news which took me off guard, but it just didn’t blow me away.
- Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms #4) by Morgan Rhodes – I’ve had a love/hate relationship with this series since I started it but this book made me a fan. I was much more easily transported into the world and I FINALLY started to feel some connections with the characters and it was finally a bit more clear the way the series is going to go. I’m so excited for the fifth book now!
- Flawless (Pretty Little Liars #2) by Sara Shepard – This series is totally disappointing me. I read the first book in July of last year and it was just as meh as this one. I think I let myself get my hopes up since the series is so intense and thrilling (never thought I’d say an adaptation is better than the books, but it’s true). I was hoping to feel more for the characters but I just kept getting annoyed by their first world problems. Not the best time for me to read this I think.
- Yellow by Megan Jacobson – I read this book with my beautiful friend Reg @ She Latitude and we had differing opinions which has kind of been the trend of our buddy reads which kind of sucks. I personally really liked the writing style and while the plot felt divided in two different directions, I still enjoyed the main character’s development. I’ll definitely check out more of the author’s work.
- Glitter by Aprilynne Pike – This is another NetGalley ARC for a book that is coming out next month. I was really excited to read it since I enjoyed Ms.Pike’s Wings series a lot when I read it last year but I am very confused and conflicted about my thoughts on this book. The world building was great and super imaginative but I didn’t particularly like any of the characters including the main one and the ending really disappointed me.
- Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School #3) by Gail Carriger – This is my favorite book of the series so far! I absolutely loved it! The characters are much older than in the beginning and they’re finding their path and what they want to do after they finish finishing school. I also really loved how the plot started to connect and reveal more of how things happened to reach what the world is in Parasol Protectorate. And there’s more romance in here! And it went the way I wanted it to so I’m happy.
- Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas #1) by Zoraida Cordova – I am a huge fan of Zoraida’s books. Her book Love on the Ledge is one of my favorites of all time and I was super excited to start this one, and I was not disappointed! This world is so rich and full of Latinx culture and influences and it was so great to read and experience. The romance was totally refreshing though I had a hard time connecting with the main character. The ending was really unexpected and I can’t wait to see how the series develops from here.
- The Naturals (The Naturals #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD! I’ve talked about how much I love Jennifer’s The Fixer series a few times on my blog and this month I decided to try more of her books and I was not disappointed! This is like Criminal Minds in book form with teenagers. Doesn’t that sound awesome?! And it was! Honestly, super fast read, left me on the edge on my seat the entire time and now I have to continue because I can’t handle it. I just can’t.
- Ice Crypt (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #2) – This is another ARC from NetGalley though the book came out in July. This is the second book in a mermaid series that is much bloodier, violent and expansive than The Little Mermaid ever wanted to be. I fell in love with the first book completely but this one was a bit of a let down. I liked the new dual POV and the expansion of the world and its corresponding legends, but it wasn’t as action packed and exciting as I was hoping it would be, even with some of the killer twists.
- The Rose and the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh – Finally managed to finish this series! I was super anxious because I loved the first one so much but this one was awesome as well! I really liked getting to read some of the more obscure POVs, characters we’d never heard from before and I liked the way the relationships continued to develop. However, the plot of this one didn’t have me as hooked as the first though I think the ending definitely made up for it.
- The Goal (Off-Campus #4) by Elle Kennedy – I didn’t manage to finish this book before the end of September though I have finished it today and I’m counting it for my first book of October. I sort of read this with Estefani @ Fiction Jungle and I have to say that I had so much fun with it. It’s super sad to see this amazing series end but I think this last book did it justice. It’s not my favorite one of the series and I was frustrated with one of the main character’s the entire time but it was still hilarious though a bit more grown up than the first few. I can’t wait for the spin-off series which I hope features, Summer, Dean’s sister who was in the third book and mentioned again in this one. It’s gonna be great!
Posts I Shared
- ARC Review – The Debt by Karina Halle
- ARC Review – The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke
- Book Review – This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
- ARC Review – Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalo
- Book Review – The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey
- Series Review – Falling Kingdoms #1-3 by Morgan Rhodes
- Series Review – The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
Tags And Awards
- The Snack Food Book Tag
- More Happy Than Not Tag
- #ConqueringKingdoms Tag
- Ben & Jerry’s Book Tag
- The Cookie Book Tag
- Pokemon Go Book Tag
Top 5 Wednesday
- Sep. 7th – Characters You’d Want as Family
- Sep. 14th – Books You’d Want to See as TV Shows
- Sep. 21st – Characters You Wouldn’t Want to Trade Places With
- Sep. 28th – Gateway Books to Your Favorite Genre
Book Traveling Thursdays
- Sep. 1st – A Book Set in High School or College
- Sep. 8th – Book That Focuses on Food, Eating or Cooking
- Sep. 22nd – Book That Should Be a Classic In a Few Years
- August ’16 Wrap Up
- September ’16 TBR – Thriller Theme
- Most Anticipated Fall Releases
- Looks on Books #8 – A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
- Sara 101: Favorite Series
- Freadom Speaks About Diversity
- Monthly Obsessions #7
- Potter Challenge: The End
- Goodreads Reading Challenge – 103/120 Books (86%)
Getting so close to reaching my goal! I’ve been doing really well with reading 10 books per month which the suggested pace for my goal and yet I’m still some books ahead of schedule. Hopefully I’ll be able to surpass it and see how much more I can try to challenge myself to read next year.
- Read It While It’s Hot Challenge – 36/12 Books
I am so proud of myself for sticking to this challenge! While I’ve only read like 13% of the books that are on my releases shelf on Goodreads, it’s a lot more than I did last with the 2015 releases. I want to continue making releases a priority in my reading.
- 2016 Debut Author Challenge – 8/x Books
One more book added to this challenge this month when at first I thought I wasn’t going to have one. It’s been a fun experience reading all these debuts and I kind of want to try to reach 12 before the end of the year.
- Finishing the Series Challenge – 12/5 Series
Again, only one more series to add to this challenge. I wasn’t really pushing myself to finish much this month since I’ve already surpassed my goal from the beginning of the year. But I still want to get as many down as I can so next month is back to the grind.
So that’s it for this post! Let me know how your September went and I hope your reading went as well as mine did. I’m super excited to show you guys my TBR for October tomorrow since it includes an awesome readathon that I’m really excited to be a part of. Thanks so much for reading and I’ll see you on my next post!