It’s late on the last of December but I am here today to wrap up all the things I read, posted and accomplished this month. December was definitely not the way I expected it to be. Between sickness, lots of freaking work and lots of family functions, I was a lot busier than I thought I would be so I didn’t read as much as I wanted. But I didn’t read some great books this month that I can’t wait to share with you.
SO let’s gets started!
This month has been absolutely crazy. Around the middle of the month, I got a huge assignment at work in which I needed both my mom and my grandma’s help, it was nuts. At the same time, my mom was sick, she had zika (again) and I had my period haha. It was so very stressful, I think I cried those two weeks more than I’ve cried the whole year (I’m exaggerating but close!). But then, it was time for Christmas! I’ve been very blessed this year and I had enough money to buy small presents for most of my family. No one else could because that’s how hard things are here but I sort of got to play Santa and hand out gifts at midnight on Christmas Day and that was really fun!
Books I Read
- Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer – I am really glad that I can finally call this series finished! This last book was amazing! I don’t know which one is my favorite Cress or Winter but both are really good and definitely made me enjoy the series a lot more than I originally did. I think this was a great conclusion, it had all the awesome elements from the first books, it had the connection and parallels to the original story and it had everything that I wanted to see and to happen. I’m a fan!
- Prudence (The Custard Protocol #1) by Gail Carriger – This is the last Gail Carriger series that I have to read and while I’m glad I’ve started it, it’s definitely not my favorite. There’s a lot of nostalgic feelings that come up while reading this because there are so many beloved characters much older in this series. However, I was slightly disappointed with the main character, she’s probably the weakest of Carriger’s female leads and there have been some reviews commenting on poor representation of India and its people which I cannot confirm but I cannot ignore either. But I do hope the next book is better.
- Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) by Rachel Hawkins – I wasn’t gonna read this book this month originally but I didn’t manage to get to it last month and I really wanted to finish the series. Overall, I think it was a good ending. It was just as entertaining as the other books and there was a lot of actions. But I think the ending was a bit too easy and there’s a specific thing that happens that makes me SO MAD. This is one of those few series where I ship noncanon and it was agonizing!
- Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater – This was a reread for me. I read it back when I was younger and I really loved it but I was kind of let down the second time around. I really enjoy the writing style, though it’s not Stiefvater’s best, but there’s some strong instalove in this one. While I’m easily taken in by cute interactions and amusing banter, I know other people would be very frustrated with that part. It wasn’t as exciting as the first time I read it and I hope the series improves.
- Bad Blood (The Naturals #4) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – I LOVE THIS BOOK AND THIS SERIES! I’m so sorry, I’m sure you guys are so done with me talking about this series. I’ve reviewed every single book now, including this one but I really just want more people to read it. This book totally took me by surprise and stole my breath the whole time, I honestly don’t think I took a breath the entire time I was reading. There’s so much that happens plot wise, and the characters are so connected now. There’s also the introduction of a new character that I wish would’ve showed up earlier because there’s so much greatness!!
- Imprudence (The Custard Protocol #2) by Gail Carriger – I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the first one! There’s more appearances from some of my favorites. I had a bit of trouble with all the characters in general but in this book, they are starting to win me over. I think what happened in the first book helped them all mature though they still tend to make huge mistakes. The plot was really fun and entertaining and while I still don’t love this as much as I hoped to, I have faith that the series will continue to improve.
- Dreadnought (Nemesis #1) by April Daniels – I’m currently reading like 5 books which there’s no way that I’ll finish all of them by the end of today so I’m posting this now. I’ve been reading this book for awhile and it’s good. I’m actually pretty nervous to review it if I’m being honest, but the story is getting good. I’m almost finished reading so I’ll probably update my thoughts here later today.
- Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #4.5) by Marissa Meyer – By the time I realized I could’ve been reading these novellas since the beginning of the month, it was almost Christmas. So I started them and I’m about halfway through. I’m taking more time with the other books but when I finish Dreadnought, I might finish these too.
- Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater – I really wanted to finish this series this month but obviously, that’s not happening. This might be the first book I finish next year and I’m definitely enjoying it a lot more than I enjoyed the first book.
- A List of Cages by Robin Roe – This is an ARC and the book is coming out next month so even though I started it late, I still wanted to start it this month so I have the review ready on time. It’s pretty heart wrenching guys and I’m really enjoying the writing and the characters but I’m not even halfway through yet.
- Because of the Sun by Jenny Torres Sanchez – I got approved for an ARC of this book a few days ago and when I downloaded it, I realized that it comes out in a few days. I’m definitely not going to have the review ready beforehand but I still wanted to start it so I can share it as soon as possible. The writing style is quite interesting here so I’m hopeful that I’ll enjoy the story.
Posts I Shared
- ARC Review – The Blazing Star by Imani Josey
- Book Review – The Goal by Elle Kennedy
- Book Review – The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Book Review – The Rose & the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
- Book Review – Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Book Review – Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin
- Book Review – All In by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Series Review – Firebird Trilogy by Claudia Gray
- Book Review – Bad Blood by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Tags And Awards
- Celebrating the Little Things Tag
- The Handwriting Tag
- The Stationary Book Tag
- Rapid Fire Book Tag
- Tis’ the Season Book Tag
- This Time Next Year Tag
Top 5 Wednesday
- Dec. 7th – Books You Want to Finally Read in 2017
- Dec. 14th – Series That Got Worse with Each Book
- Dec. 21st – Fictional Items You’d Give as Gifts
- Dec. 28th – Characters You’d Invite to Your New Year’s Eve Party
Book Traveling Thursdays
- Dec. 15th – One of Your Favorite Books of 2016
- Dec. 22nd – A Book That Makes You Think About Christmas
- Dec. 29th – A Book You Want to Read in 2017!
- November ’16 Wrap Up
- December ’16 TBR – Shape Shifters Theme
- Most Anticipated Winter Releases
- Looks on Books #11 – The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
- Sara 101: How I Celebrate Christmas in Venezuela
- Monthly Obsessions #10
- Goodreads Reading Challenge – 132/120 Books (110%)
YAY! I did it! I think I completed this challenge in the beginning of this month and just kept piling on the books. I’m really proud of myself, not only for reaching my goal but for surpassing it. I hope next year works just as well!
- Read It While It’s Hot Challenge – 43/12 Books
Well… you can say I kicked this challenge’s butt! I’m so proud of myself. I love new releases and I always add soo many to my TBR but in 2015 I read so little and I’m glad that I changed that up this year and managed to read a lot of the ones I’ve been anticipating. I will definitely continue this challenge next year.
- 2016 Debut Author Challenge – 9/x Books
I didn’t add any new books to this challenge but I’m pretty okay with it. I wanted to read more new releases in general not just debuts, but I want to do this challenge again and improve on this number. I want to be able to get to double digits at least.
- Finishing the Series Challenge – 21/5 Series
I kicked this challenge’s butt too! I am so happy that I managed to knock so many series off my TBR. This was so important for me this year and I’m really proud that I actually took the initiative to get it done! And yes, I’m doing this one next year as well because I still have… 65 unfinished series…
So that’s it for this post! I am doing some changes on my blog this afternoon so it will be going private in a few hours so please don’t be afraid! I’m not going anywhere, I’m just polishing things up in the new year. Thanks so much for reading and I’ll see you on my next post!