Today I’m going to talk about my resolutions for 2017. Not only blogging and reading wise, but also some personal ones so you guys can get to know me a little bit better.
I’m also going to go back and see if I managed to accomplish the resolutions that I set out for myself in 2016. I’m pretty sure I’ve done all the reading ones but my personal resolutions got kind of put to the side. Either way, we’ll see that in this post!
SO let’s get started!
2016 Personal Resolutions
- Exercise at least twice a week – Total fail!
- Learn Italian – Another total fail!
- Make more friends – I’m gonna call this a win! Besides becoming closer to some of my RL friends, I made so many new blog friends whom I love so I did it!
- Go places where I have to dress up – I think I’ll call this a win too because though I didn’t go out as much as I wanted to, I did get dolled up for the holidays so yeah!
Even though I didn’t accomplish all the things that I set out to do last year, I feel like 2016 was the year where I had the biggest amount of personal growth. The person I was when I started this year is so much different than I feel now. I hope to 2017 will involve a lot more personal growth too!
2016 Reading Resolutions
- Read 120 books – Win! I managed to reach this goal and also surpass it by reading 132 books. I’m proud.
- Read at least 2 Classics – Huge fail! I didn’t even try guys haha. It’s really freaking hard to read classics on Kindle. I’ll try this again when I can buy physical copies.
- Finish 5 series that I’ve already started – Smashed this one! I finished like 21 series this year and I’m really freaking proud.
- Start the series I shared on T5W ‘Series I Want to Start in 2016’ – I’m calling it a win because I started 8 out of 7 series on that list. And I even finished some of them so yay me!
- Continue participating in read-a-thons – I think this is a fail haha. I only did one or two read-a-thons in 2016… I don’t even remember how many I did!
2016 Blogging Resolutions
- Create a discussion feature – This is a win even though I still don’t really like my discussion topics or how I write them. I suck really bad at this feature but I’m doing it anyway! haha
- Create a tag – This is a giant fail. 2016 was the second year I had this resolution and I still didn’t do it. I just can’t think of anything creative!
- Work on my graphics/blog style – Considering how I changed my blog graphics twice since the creation of this resolution, I’m calling this a win. I’m really happy with my brand new design that I just debuted the first of the year. Thanks to everyone who has complimented it!
- Comment on other blog posts every day – I’m calling this one a win too, although I started slacking a bit in November and December. I just get so tired and lazy towards the end of the year that I kept forgetting to check my WordPress feed. But I still did well!
So I feel like overall I did pretty well with keeping up my resolutions. I have to say that I definitely paid more attention to my reading ones than the rest of them, I’d even forgotten some of the personal ones I’d made.
Now I’m going to talk about the resolutions I’m making for 2017!
- Be courageous
I have a tendency to play life safe, which is fine. It’s been fine for 22 years. But in 2017, there’s going to be a lot of changes in my life. Some I expect and a lot that I probably wont. And I want to stop feeling held back from things that look like great experiences because of my fear, or my anxiety, or my shyness. I want to be brave and I want to take chances and I want to go on adventures.
- Start college and kick ass at it
This is a goal I’ve been working on since 2015, starting with therapy and looking into what I want to study and so on. I’m getting closer and closer to it but I’m still really afraid of failing at it. I want to be able to do all the things that I’m dreaming of and that starts with this step. So I hope that I can do it and that I can be successful at it.
- Reconnect with old friends
I’ve spent most of my life moving to different countries. I’ve made a lot of friends in a lot of different places but every time my life shifts, I lose a lot of those friendships because lives continue and time is spent where you are and not where you were. It makes sense but this year, I want to reach out to some of those people that had impacted my life in a great and positive way and see if they are still positive influences and if I can build a friendship with them again.
- Meet at least one blogger friend
This is probably the most farfetched out of all of my resolutions. Most of the close blogger friends that I’ve made since starting this journey are international. They are spread all over the world from Australia to Morocco to France and more. I doubt that I’ll be able to travel abroad this year but you never know what life has in store and maybe I can just video chat them and call it a win haha.
- Read 50 books
This one might sound a little weird considering that I read 132 books in 2016. Usually, I raise my goal (that’s what I did in 2015) but like I said above, my life is going to change A LOT in 2017. So I don’t know when I’ll have time to read or how much time I’ll have to read, so I’m trying to have low expectations haha.
- Read more diversely
This is something that I know a lot of bloggers and friends of mine are doing this year and I can’t not mention it. However, since I organize my life to the single second, I have all of my TBRs for the year all ready. And since I have a theme each month, not each month has diverse books in it (I made these lists before making this resolution). So this resolution is the more relaxed out of this list, I’m not going to push myself to read only diversely, or punish myself if I don’t read as many diverse books as I want. I want it to be a more organic and slow progression from mainstream books to diverse books.
- Finish 5 unfinished series
Yes, this is on this list again. I finished 21 series this year that I had unfinished which is great! But I still have 65 unfinished series on my shelf and many more added to this list every month since I can’t stop myself from starting new series all the time. So this year I’m also going to be making a conscious effort into finishing as many series as I can.
- Branch out of my usual genres
When looking at my 2016 reading stats, I realized that 90% of the books I read this year were Young Adult books. That’s totally fine with me, that’s the genre I most enjoy reading. But at the same time, I realized that I’m growing up, I kind of resemble an adult now and I want to branch out into different genres in 2017. I have a challenge specially for this resolution and I hope that it’ll jump start me into reading more adult literature, though I’m definitely not letting go of YA anytime soon.
- Create a tag!
Yes, I have this on my list again. I am freaking doing it okay?! This shouldn’t be so freaking hard for me. Every time I think I have an idea for a fun and unique tag, someone has already done it. Or sometimes I see an amazing tag and I punish myself because I didn’t think of it first. No more this year! I’m gonna pick something super awesome and finally make a really cool tag for all book lovers to participate in. Period!
- Create a readathon
So this is like the dumbest resolution haha. If creating a tag isn’t hard enough, I thought it’d be a great idea to challenge myself to create a readathon. I might even ask some friends if they want to help me with this particular idea because I might not have enough time to take care of everything needed to make a readathon successful. But I think it’d be a really cool project to tackle this year.
- Get back into my Soundtrack to My Book feature
While redesigning and updating my blog these past few days, I realized that I’ve neglected the first feature that I ever started on my blog. It’s called Soundtrack to My Book and I started it with my friend Gervan, we pick 8 to 10 songs that fit a book we read together. It got harder and harder to get together to talk about the songs we thought of and I honestly felt like I wouldn’t be able to pull it off without him. But I really want to try this year to do it alone and see what happens.
- Have guests posts on my blog
Guest posts on blogs look really fun. I’ve done it once and it was a cool experience and I think it brings not only traffic to my blog but it also helps others get more recognition and interest. So this year I want to ask some of my blogger friends to guest post on my blog. I don’t know on which feature yet or if I’ll do it in one month with a theme, I don’t know. Let me know if you’d be interested in helping me out in the comments!
So that’s it for my resolutions this year! Let me know if you have any in common, or the one you feel will be most challenging from your own list. I feel like I did will with my resolutions from 2016 and I want to keep that momentum going. Please ask me throughout the year how they’re doing because I’m totally going to forget some of these at some point haha. Thanks for reading and see you on my next post!